Thursday 13 May 2021

Vinyl Cut your own Perseverance Rover Fiducial Markers.

 

Image Credit NASA/JPL Caltech

I've been doing some writing recently that had me looking a lot at pictures of the Perseverance Rover currently carrying out fantastic science on Mars. Whilst writing on this other project I got mildy obsessed with the appearance of some of the fiducial markers that are on the rover's body panels. These markers are used by either machine vision systems or by analysts back on earth to check dimensions and distances and to calibrate sensors accordingly. 

I decided I wanted to make some of my own, they's look cool on a rocket and could be used as a roll pattern, but equally they just look cool on my toolboxes etc! They are a simple design that I put together in Inkscape and I've uploaded the project files to Thingiverse. If you have access to a vinyl cutter then these are pretty straightforward to cut and layup. 





No comments: