Friday 6 July 2018

ODR, Open Development Rocket. Now Opensource!


So here it is! Some of you who follow me on twitter may have seen me talking about this rocket build but this is the official release of the project. A while back I released the OBT small rocket design and this is the next opensource rocket ODR. ODR is either pronounced "owther" and is the mystical Norse force or could be O.D.R standing for Open Development Rocket! 

ODR started as a project for my needs, having passed my L1 high power certification I wanted to build an airframe that could fly well on L1 power but could also serve as a learning and testing platform. Therefore ODR has been designed with a large electronics/avionics bay and can be configured for single or for dual deploy recovery systems. Its simulated in OpenRocket and can fly on G-I 38mm reloads and as soon as I actually fly it I will update the project. 

There are numerous sections I need to finish and some parts that need much better documentation but I have done some docs and have supplied all the files on Gitlab. The main tubes are phenolic tubes purchased in the UK from the excellent (I have no link with them other than am a customer) Blackcat Rocketry. All the other components are designed in opensource free software and the files are included. It has used CNC routing and a 3d printer but equally could be done with a printer and a laser cutter. So find your local makerspace/fablab etc. 


So get in touch via Gitlab and or twitter @concreted0g if you have questions and I'll try my best to help. And yeah... that's a librespace foundation sticker... lets claim space.. the libre way. 

No comments: