Monday 31 August 2009

Edge of Sleep



So it was a rainy day....I set myself the challenge of making a piece that consisted of only sounds generated from my gameboy advance using my flashcart and numerous bits of software. I ended up using Pixelh8's free version of MusicTechPro, GBEdrum, the Nanovoice demo and Nerdrix the last 3 of these are classic gameboy programs so you have to use Goomba to get them working on the gba. A good source for gameboy/nintendo homebrew software is mooglecharm

Everything was played live into reaper and then the only processing I allowed myself was to use my own VST effects...its a WIP but I quite like the first draft...

<a href="http://concretedog.bandcamp.com/track/edge-of-sleep-wip">Edge of Sleep (WIP) by concretedog</a>

3 comments:

ashley said...

I like it.

unknown entity said...

Superb! Is the performance in the homebrew instrument apps done by mapping notes and expression controls to all the different buttons? I'm imagining the ocarina playing interface in zelda 64

concretedog said...

Thanks all..
@Unknown entity...yes thats correct all the instruments map notes to buttons. MusicTechPro lets you set up a patch first (waveform duty, sweep, envelope, unison etc) then switch to live mode where the eight buttons become the notes of a scale.